30 September 2012

Love-Hate-Texas

I totally thought Texas would have more of these...
Picture from here. Where are my cowboys!?
I love autumn. I love the smells, the deep sweet decay of leaf mould, and the spiced apple cider that I make practically every night until winter. However, I’m far from my beloved Virginia this autumn, and I’m discovering that September in Texas is a very different environment indeed.

For starters, it’s almost October and it’s still bloody hot.

Take a walk down memory lane with me now, if you would. Way back in February 2011, when I was choosing my Post, I was sick of snow. It had been an especially snowy and miserably cold winter in New York, and if I never dug my car out of another drift I would call it a win. Thus, when we were choosing where we wanted to spend the first three years of our post-graduate careers, I figured somewhere down south looked pretty darn appealing. Tequila, Mexican food, sunshine, cowboys (and I mean the manly type in jeans and Stetsons and boots, not the sports team)…yep. I wanted to go to Texas.

So fast forward to the present, and I’m not regretting my choice by any stretch of the imagination—I still firmly believe that I am in the precise right place at the right time to be leading the right people—but I am becoming increasingly aware that what I envisioned of my future when I pulled that little piece of paper off of a wall was somewhat wrong.

And it’s not easy for me in all my Type-A Virgo awesomeness to admit I’ve been wrong.

The weather here in the morning and late at night is perfect. I love it, even. It’s warm and cool at the same time, with a slight breeze, and although it’s a little too humid for my hair to thank me (yay frizz!), it makes me want to go find a forest to frolic through in the twilight. But mid afternoon? I don’t believe in 90+ degree weather after Mabon. There is just something not right about that. This late into the year I should be comfortable in jeans, not sweating! I don’t like sweating unless I’m actively engaged in a workout.

Either way, it seems to be a love-hate relationship I have with Texas weather. I can live with that for now.

1 comment:

  1. Yeaaahhh... that's why I chose Fort Drum over Fort Bragg, even though everyone else thought I was nuts. The trees are gorgeous right now, though it is getting crisp out quickly. I do wish I could find a happy medium though. I liked West Point... (not the school part, just the area!) And that winter you were referring to was indeed awful. We had less snow here last year than they had at West Point that year!

    ReplyDelete