14 April 2011

I Swear I'm Not Trying To Manipulate Anyone

I don't know what's gotten into me lately. I haven't written this many lyrics this fast in a long time, as in high school long time. I guess all of the drama from this year has finally spilled out into musical motivation. This particular song came to me initially in the shower last night, and so I wrote the two stanzas of the first verse then, and then finished up the rest this afternoon. I took a little bit of poetic license in the situation it's inspired by--I didn't quite date a pair of friends--but I was sorta involved with one while talking to his BFF, although it never has nor never will go anywhere further than that. Yes, the one I was sorta involved with is Stargazer. Anyway, enjoy the lyrics. The song title is the same as the title of this blog entry :)

I’m a little confused;
I wish I knew what to do.
I think I’m starting to fall for him,
But I’m still hung up on you.
And yeah, I know
That I should give up and move on,
But that’s easier said than done.
Yeah, it’s easier said than done.

It’s a little weird;
My path is unclear.
I know that he is your best friend,
So why am I still here?
If we’re keeping score,
I was never really yours.
After all, you loved him more.
Yeah, you always loved him more.

I don’t know what game I’m trying to play,
Since you won’t change your mind
No matter what I say.
I don’t know why I bother with you sometimes;
I can’t stay away from you
Despite how hard I’ve tried.

Once upon a time,
I tried to make you mine,
But you played so elusively, and
This fairy tale ran dry.
Yeah, you’ve said
That we’re normal again,
But we weren’t normal then.
No, we weren’t normal then.

I guess I’m glad
That this little thing we had
Turned out as well as it did, though
We knew it could not last.
On the other hand,
I still want you more than him,
Plus we were never friends.
No, we’ll never be just friends.

I don’t know what game I’m trying to play,
Since you won’t change your mind
No matter what I say.
I don’t know why I bother with you sometimes;
Still I can’t stay away from you
Despite all our silly lies.

Okay, alright,
I know you’re the jealous type,
But you never told him about me,
So I guess it serves you right.
I admit it’s true:
I can be vindictive too,
But I’m still hung up on you.
Yeah, I’m still hung up on you.

1 comment: