18 April 2011

We Are All Stars



Although it’s been a while since I’ve had time to just sit down and read for fun, I’ve been thinking about returning to Stephen Hawking’s A Brief History of Time when I get the chance, and not in small part because of this contemplative song. High Place’s “From Stardust to Sentience” is an ethereal, beautiful indie number about, well, evolution. I remember when my science teachers in middle school told me that when you really think about it, we’re all made out of stars. It’s an idea that makes me feel wonderfully connected to the cosmos. Parallels and particles, connections and unity of the universe. We are all stardust. We are immortal.

The lyrics to the song, in case you have a hard time understand the soft vocals, are below. May this song make you feel as connected to the universe as it does for me. Enjoy.

From small speck of stardust to wondrously sentient
Revolving and spinning in space
Waking and sleeping and yielding to gravity
It starts to show on your face

Millions of forces of physics and providence
Teamed up and brought us all here
Waking and sleeping and yielding to gravity
Pointless to measure in years

Out in the desert your thoughts are as clear as the stars
You feel golden
You're billion year old carbon.

No comments:

Post a Comment